Defective Cell Phones May Cause Serious Injury

Cell phones continue to grow in popularity, as Americans increasingly rely on their cellular phone for personal and business calls. Although cell phone designs have seen advancements in past decade, some cell phones are still facing recalls for safety issues. The most common cause of cell phone injuries occur when cell phones explode or catch fire. The industry is not quick to take the blame for these defects, claiming that counterfeit batteries are the cause of cell phone explosions or fires. Others say that the problem is a result of trying to put too much power in such a small electronic device. Studies do show, however, that counterfeit batteries are less capable of preventing overheating in cell phones. This overheating leads to malfunctions and possible injury should the phone explode or catch fire.

In the incidences reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), injuries occurred on the neck, face, hip and legs of most victims. The CPSC is working to create higher cell phone battery standards so that these types of injuries can be decreased in the years to come. The agency is also pushing manufacturers to issue a warning to consumers that purchasing cheap counterfeit batteries may result in injury if the phone overheats. The battery of the phone may not be at fault. Many argue that the design of the phone may be causing the problem, not allowing proper ventilation of the battery. When overheating occurs, batteries may reach temperatures near 600 degrees. In many reports of cell phone explosions or fires, victims claim that their cell phone began to make strange ticking, or “ping” noise, just before it exploded into flames. In the event that your cell phone begins to make unusual noises, do not go near it. Use another phone to call the technical support number for your phone and follow all of their instructions in order to prevent injury.

In some cases, cell phones have exploded without the owner ever having changed the battery or altered the phone in any way. If a phone is kept in a place that does not allow for ventilation, an explosion may occur. Do not keep phones in tight cases or pockets since both of these may cause the phone to become overheated. Also, avoid allowing your cell phone to come in contact with other metals such as keys or coins. Some speculate that these metals may cause the phone to short circuit and explode. If you are injured by a defective cell phone or cell phone battery, you are eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. Contacting an experienced product liability lawyer is the first step in filing a lawsuit for your injuries.

Advertisements

5 Responses

  1. I love this site!!!!

  2. may 2nd 2008 my phone went dead leaving me with a steamy hot tingling feeling in the right side of my head.I visited the St Petersburgh Verizon store where I was told the battery was not charging. a new battery was placed in the phone, and I was told to use phone in the next11/2 hour.Attempting to use the phone it burnt my right hand. Later the evening my head felt as if was been swollen,I went and lay down, my head felt like a sack of cement, early night my head had a pressure in it. It felt like it was pushing out my right eye, and pushing everything in the right to the left. The following day the pressure became pain, I went to the emergency room.since then I have pain everyday.Visited E.R many time.Verizon and Samsung is aware and are ignoring me.

  3. I just came from the hospital with thermal burns in my left ear from the new kyocera cell phone that I got a week ago, and thats real.

  4. The hospital staff treated me like I was crazy and like this was a joke because they have never heard f such a thing happening.

  5. a month ago I got what I thought was an electric shock from my nokia 6700 (6 months old no new charger or battery). My finger became swollen and brunt as if I was touching a red hot oven for the last 4 weeks. I have since been advised this was a radio frequency burn. I lost feeling in my finger for most of this time but since the feel has started to reappear I now have severe pain in my whole hand from my finger tips to my elbow and can no hold anything tight for the pain. I reported to orange who replaced the handset immdiately as they adivsed this could have been fatal, Nokia say they want to investigate however had advised they need access to my orange account which orange will not allow and orange have now lost the phone set so nokia can not investistigate. I am scared for everyone unaware of the problems mobiles can cause and that these two companies know it is happening but make it so difficult for us to report and make it public knowledge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: