When you have been charged in Baltimore for a crime you have certain legal rights. These rights are included in the Miranda Rights. The right to remain silent and the right to an attorney are two items that are included in the Miranda Rights. As a practicing Baltimore criminal defense lawyer, I find cases in which an individual that was being charged for a criminal act, will talk with the police officer. What most people don’t know is the information that you are giving to the arresting officer is information that can be used against you in the court of law.
It is always wise prior to speaking with any officer about the crime, you consult with a Baltimore criminal lawyer. The last thing you want to do is build a case for the prosecution by providing incriminating evidence against yourself.
There are two different types of criminal charges. One is a felony and the other is a misdemeanor. Depending upon the crime will depend upon the severity of the charge. In Maryland and throughout the U.S., a felony is considered the harsher of the 2 charges.
When evaluating a Baltimore criminal defense lawyer you need to ask yourself these questions:
- Experience – How much experience does the attorney have in represented your said case?
- Knowledgeable – Is the lawyer knowledgeable in the charges you are facing?
- Tenacity – Does your lawyer have the drive to challenge expert witnesses, law enforcement and the prosecution in the validity of the evidence and procedures leading up to and during the arrest?
- Negotiation – All lawyers have negotiation skills but the best lawyers can negotiate reduction in sentencing, probation and lesser fines.
- Skill Set – Does your lawyer have the skill set to get you a favorable result? Do they know how to approach a criminal case and set-up defense strategies pertaining to your charges?
The most important element to a criminal case in Baltimore is getting your client the most favorable result possible. If you have been arrested in Baltimore and are facing criminal charges contact our Baltimore criminal lawyers for a free consultation.
Cases we take include drug related crimes such as possession, trafficking and distribution; Violent crimes such as domestic violence, assault and battery, robbery and homicide (murder), white collar crimes and DWI and DUI cases.
For more information on our Baltimore criminal defense lawyers.
Filed under: Criminal Law |